Monday, November 4, 2013

remembering Janie

i never knew my dad's sister, Janie
oh, how I wish I did
i know she was good, good as gold. 
I know this because people have told me
i've written about her before and why I was named after her: here 

This year marks 40 years since her death.
after 4 decades, people still wanted to gather and remember her.
since 1973 a plaque and her picture has hung in the freshman dorm at Harding in memory of her.
this year, Harding created an event to remember Janie and rededicate this memorial to her name.

so many people came!
the turn out was remarkable and really demonstrated what kind of woman she was that friends would gather to remember her after 40 years.
it was so good to see old friends
in the midst of a sad remembrance was a lot of joy in relationship

many of my dad's and Janie's friends shared memories of her
things I heard:
she was perfect, beautiful, joyful, walked with God, kind

her best friend and roommate at the time, Joyce, read the most beautiful note that she had written about Janie.

it was the most precious time
so many wonderful memories shared
there were a lot of tears
mostly of sadness
but many tears of hope for our reunion in Heaven
what a day that will be!

we all sang When We all Get to Heaven, apparently one of Janies favorites

  1. Sing the wondrous love of Jesus,
  2. Sing His mercy and His grace;
  3. In the mansions bright and blessed
  4. He’ll prepare for us a place.
      • When we all get to heaven,
      • What a day of rejoicing that will be!
      • When we all see Jesus,
      • We’ll sing and shout the victory!
  5. While we walk the pilgrim pathway,
  6. Clouds will overspread the sky;
  7. But when trav’ling days are over,
  8. Not a shadow, not a sigh.
  9. Let us then be true and faithful,
  10. Trusting, serving every day;
  11. Just one glimpse of Him in glory
  12. Will the toils of life repay.
  13. Onward to the prize before us!
  14. Soon His beauty we’ll behold;
  15. Soon the pearly gates will open;
  16. We shall tread the streets of gold


thanks to Harding for remembering the life of a golden 19 year old girl.
what a great place!
my Mamaw Lou said she just wanted to thank Harding over and over again.
she said when Janie died, the Harding community wrapped their arms around Randy. 
"you get so much more than an education, you get a forever family".

I feel so honored to be a part of the Kirby legacy
What a great woman to look up to, even though I never met her.
Joyce mentioned in her note that she wishes me, Josh and Jake could've held Janie's hand....i do too. so so badly. I know she would be a great aunt.
i'm so glad that I get to hear others remember her and love on my dad and my mamaw.
sometimes I get mad that I got cheated out of knowing her.
i think that it's ok to feel that way.
but my hope is not in this world.
I will meet her one day
    • When we all get to heaven,
      What a day of rejoicing that will be!

  • 1 comment:

    Rachel said...

    So, so beautiful, Kate. Thanks for sharing.