Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sweet and Spice and everything nice


(not mine)


Sweet Potato and Black Beans???

These two lovelies are not normal commrades. Normally, I would turn up my nose at the combo.
Together in the right way...divine.

Here is the recipe for the
Black bean and sweet potato enchiladas!!!

The blend of sweet and spicy is key.
GT loved these...LOVED.
So, I was happy.
Let me say this, I am not a sweet tater fan, but this my friends, this, is doable.
Not only doable, but repeatable.
the stuff: 
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
smidge of EVOO
1 large garlic clove, minced
One can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small chile, seeded and minced
One can diced tomatoes, drained
(since I forgot the chile at Kroger, I just used a can of rotel with green chiles for my tomatoes and chiles...it worked great!)
1 tablespoon chili powder
s&p
2 cups salsa (your fave)
8 large flour tortillas
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion (forgot that too and used yellow...worked great)


 
The doing:
1. Roast those diced up sweet potatoes on a baking sheet on 400 for about 20 minutes... they'll be roasty and tender.
2. Turn your oven down to 350F. 
3. Saute the garlic and chile in some EVOO for just a bit until you can smell the deliciousness. (or just the garlic if you're me) 
 Toss in the beans, tomatoes, chili powder. S&P that little bit as you like
Then throw in your roasted tots and let it all get to know each other in that skillet for about 5 minutes.
4. Spread a thin layer of your choice of salsa on the bottom of a baking dish and put it aside.
5.Then fill your tortilla like you would any ole enchilada and layer on top of the salsa!
If any filling is left over, put on top of the enchiladas and then sprinkle with that onion.
6. Cover(so they cook through) and bake about 20 minutes.
I broiled mine for about 2 minutes just to get that golden top. Totally up to you though.

that's it!.
p.s. delicious left overs



bon apetit,
kate

2 comments:

Rachel said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMM, thank you!

Korie said...

Can I hire you to cook for us :)